Click to Call
T.D. McNeil Insurance Services

110 Blue Ravine Rd, Suite 105,
Folsom, CA 95630

Get Directions

Why Can’t You Fix Tires With Sidewall Damage?

Getting a flat tire is bad enough, but it only gets worse when you find the damage is to the sidewall. T.D. McNeil Insurance Services in Folsom, CA, wants you to know that no matter how simple the damage is if it’s on the sidewall and not the tread that contacts the road surface, you’ll have to replace your tire. This is due to how tires are constructed, and it’s essential that you understand why.

What Makes Sidewalls Unrepairable?

Sidewalls are flexible, allowing tires to handle expansion due to heat during use and to add some cushioning as the tires travel over uneven surfaces. A perfectly rigid tire would make for an uncomfortable ride, no matter how good your shocks or struts were. The flexibility also helps the tire handle the weight of the car and all its passengers and cargo. However, that flexibility would destroy any patch or plug used on the sidewall, leading to a blowout while driving.

That makes sense, but it raises the question of why a repair to the tread is OK when the tread is constantly rolling over the road and hitting rough surfaces. The tread section is thicker and stronger than the sidewall, and most tires now contain steel cords that keep the tread section more stable than the sidewall or shoulder. A repair stands a better chance of remaining strong and in place if it’s in the tread section. And remember, only puncture-type damage can be repaired; anything longer than that requires tire replacement.

T.D. McNeil Insurance Services in Folsom, CA, can help you with auto insurance and repair claims. Contact us today to discuss coverage.

Documents you should always have in your vehicle

When you are driving, there are some things you should always have in your vehicle. You need a spare tire and a jack in the event you get a flat. You need to have a flashlight in the glove box and a bottle of water. At T.D. McNeil Insurance Services in Folsom, CA, we provide personalized insurance service, and we will make sure that your auto insurance meets your needs. 

Documents you should always have in your vehicle

Vehicle registration

In California, vehicles are required to be registered annually. In order to get your vehicle registered, you need to get a smog emission test every other year. You should keep not only your vehicle registration but your emission results in the glove box of your vehicle. If you are in an accident or are stopped for another reason by the authorities, you will be required to show your registration. If it isn’t in the vehicle, there may be an issue. If your registration expires, you can be fined. 

Insurance card

When you get your auto insurance, it comes with cards that prove that you have auto insurance. These cards need to be carried in your vehicle to prove that you have auto insurance. There are strict penalties for failure to carry the required amount of auto insurance. Put it in the glove box with your vehicle registration.

Driver’s license

In the state of California, all drivers are required to have a driver’s license. A driver’s license is a form of ID, and most people carry it on their person in their wallet, pocket, or purse. It does not have to be left in the vehicle, but if you are driving, you need to have it with you. 

Reach Out To Us

Contact T.D. McNeil Insurance Services in Folsom, CA, when you need an independent insurance agent to meet your auto insurance requirements. 

How much car insurance do I need?

California requires a minimum amount of car insurance, but do you need more than the minimum? Our team of experts at T.D. McNeil Insurance Services can break down everything you need to know about car insurance in Folsom, CA so that you can make an informed decision about your coverage.

What does California require?

California law requires all drivers to carry liability insurance in the following amounts:

  • $15,000 for bodily injury or death per person
  • $30,000 for bodily injury or death per accident
  • $5,000 for property damage per accident

These are the minimums required by law, but remember that they may not be enough to cover the full cost of an accident. If you cause an accident that results in injuries or property damage exceeding your coverage limit, you could be held liable for the difference.

What factors should I consider when deciding how much coverage to get?

The value of your car: If you have a newer or more expensive car, you’ll want to ensure you have enough coverage to replace it if it’s totaled in an accident.

Your personal assets: If you have significant savings or other assets, you’ll want to make sure they’re protected if you’re sued for damages after an accident.

Your deductibles: Your deductible is the amount you’ll have to pay out-of-pocket before your insurance kicks in.

Contact Us Today

The amount of insurance you need in Folsom, CA depends on factors like the value of your car and your personal assets. However, you always need at least the minimum required by California law. Ultimately, your goal should be to get the best protection possible without breaking the bank. T.D. McNeil Insurance Services is here to help you find the right policy for your needs.

What to Do When You Have a Car Accident

No one ever wants to be in a car accident. But unfortunately, they happen. And when they do, it’s important to know what to do next. This blog post will give you a step-by-step guide on what to do if you’re ever involved in a car accident. T.D. McNeil Insurance Services in Folsom, CA offers this guide on what to do if you find yourself in an unfortunate situation. 

What to Do When You Have a Car Accident?

1. Check If Anyone Is Hurt

While not all car accidents result in injuries, some do. So, the first thing you need to do is check if anyone is hurt. Remember the injuries do not always have to be visible as some could be internal. If you or anyone else appears to be injured, call for medical help right away.

2. Call the Police

After you’ve made sure that everyone is okay, the next step is to call the police. This is important even if the accident seems minor. The police will create a report of the accident, which can be very helpful down the road.

3. Exchange Information With the Other Driver

Once the police have arrived, it’s time to exchange information with the other driver. You’ll need to get their name, address, phone number, and insurance information. It’s also a good idea to get the make, model, and license plate number of their car.

4. Take Pictures of the Accident

If you have a camera or smartphone, it’s a good idea to take pictures of the accident. This can help prove what happened if there’s ever a dispute.

5. Call Your Insurance Company

The next step is to call your insurance company to inform them about the accident. They’ll likely ask you for all of the same information that you gave to the police. Be sure to answer truthfully and give as much detail as possible. Remember, insurance companies have their own investigator who may look into the accident. If they find that you weren’t honest about what happened, it could affect your claim.

As you have seen, there are several steps you need to take after a car accident. T.D. McNeil Insurance Services can help make sure you’re prepared for anything. We can also help you find the right auto insurance for your car in Folsom, CA. Give us a call today to learn more.

What Do I Do After An Accident?

If you get into an accident in Folsom, CA, you’ll want to know what you should do starting immediately after the collision. The professionals at T.D. McNeil Insurance Services are here to help.

Getting into an auto accident is scary and stressful. The most important thing to do is to stay calm. It’s vital that you keep your wits about you and not lose your temper or become overly emotional.

Post-Accident Safety:

Asses if you or anyone with you is injured. If you have small children, pets, disabled or elderly people with you, make sure you keep them safe. 

If the vehicles are operational, move to a safe location out of the flow of traffic, either to the side of the road or a nearby well-lit area, where you are visible and easily located by emergency personnel.

Call emergency services to attend to anyone that is injured and to report the accident to the police and get a formal motor vehicle accident report filled out.

Information Gathering:

If you are going to speak to the other party before the police arrive, make sure you are both calm and non-combative. If there are any witnesses present, ask them if they’d be willing to wait for law enforcement to arrive to give their account of what they saw.

Exchange this information with the other party:

  • Name, phone number and address
  • Insurance company and policy number
  • Driver’s License and license plate number
  • Make and model of the vehicles
  • Location of the accident

Next Steps:

While you’re waiting for the emergency personnel to arrive, take photos of any damage that your vehicle has sustained during the collision. 

Finally, call your team at T.D. McNeil Insurance Services serving Folsom, CA so they can help you initiate your claim!

Our Partners
  • foremost
  • Hudson
  • Kemper
  • Liberty Mutual
  • Mercury
  • Metlife
  • National General
  • Personal Umbrella
  • Progressive
  • Safeco
  • Stillwater
  • The Hartford
  • Travelers